Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My birth story

Really the day couldn't have gone much better! Tuesday morning I woke up around 4:45am, we had to be at the hospital at 6a. We finished getting everything around and headed out the door. We arrived at 6a with our bags ready to go do this! We got checked into the room and settled in. Then here is how our day went...

**8am - Slow doses of pitocin started - started out dilated at 5cm.
**8:30a-9a - My doctor broke my water and contractions became more intense. Nothing horrible but I could feel them.
**9:30a - Contractions started getting worse and I asked for my epidural. There was another girl in front of me so I had to wait a little bit. In the mean time the were hurting pretty bad.
**10:15 - Epidural was put it and much better experience with it this time. The first dose of medicine wasn't working too well so they gave me something else that was HEAVENLY. Completely numb, couldn't feel contractions at all.
**10:50 - Checked and was 6cm
**11:50a - Checked and was 6.5-7 cm
**1:30p - Checked and 9cm - that went fast, I wasn't quite ready for that! I told my doctor that I was feeling some pressure down there. I thought maybe it was the epidural wearing off and I needed more medicine. Doc thought it might be the baby. She told me to push and see what would happen, so I pushed once and she was like, "OK, let's just have this baby!" Then they got the room all ready... stuff laid out over the floor, shelf of tools for her to use, the warming machine etc. Then I started to get a bit scared. That was fast!

Once they got all of that set up, it was probably about 1:45pish. I pushed and then Ella Suzanne was born at 2:12pm!! They laid her right on my belly all gooey and bloody but I didn't care, she was beautiful!! They wiped her down while I was holding her. I got to hold her for a bit and then they took her to the warmer and did the apgars, she scored and 8 and a 9 (on a scale up to 10). After about an hour they took her to do the hearing tests etc. We got her back in the room about 4:30pm and she just chilled... slept until 7:30p when we had to wake her to feed her. She took an ounce and then had a big ole poopy diaper - yay!!! Then I held her and cuddled.

Pushing is the hardest thing, wow. I have had c/s (c-section) and I have had VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). I know to each is their own but I wouldn't even think twice about doing VBAC over c/s if possible. I was up walking around less than 2 hours after Ella was born. A little discomfort but nothing like the c/s. Totally night and day. I know not everybody has the option though and that's totally OK.

And I will say it, I am so proud of myself for doing it and I wouldn't have changed ANYTHING. Some doctors and hospitals won't even do VBAC's. I'm lucky that my doctor was so supportive and encouraging during the whole thing.

The day couldn't have been better. Brian was he best coach and support and I loved EVERY single one of my nurses. AMAZING.

Ella is AMAZING. She looks more and more like Sophia as she gets older... she definitely has her eyes and nose. We think that she gets her mouth from her biggest sister, Logan. She is gorgeous and I honestly couldn't be any happier. She has the best disposition, like Phia did.... let's hope that keeps up!

I now know what they say about loving a 2nd child. I was a huge skeptic but I love Ella more than anything. I love Phia more than anything. You share the love and it's just different. You make it work and I honestly could not be happier in life. I have the best 3 girls and they all love each other so much.

Phia wasn't too sure about Ella at first, but I think a lot of it had to do with the hosital surroundings. Now we are home and she is getting used to her more... although most of the time she just ignores her :) Better than being mean to her though I guess!

The very first picture taken of Ella Suzanne.





My first picture with Ella. I look like a mess!


Ella Suzanne












My AMAZING doctor. I love her.


Daddy and Ella


Grandpa and Ella


Logan and Ella


Sophia and Ella


Grandma and Ella


Meeting their cousins - Connor and Carson


Carson and Ella


Connor and Ella


Phia being goofy at the hospital


Giving kisses

No comments: