Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Silly, Ella

Last night I was extremely uncomfortable in bed (as usual) I went from the bed, to the couch, to Sophia's bed (I think she was scared by the thunder), back to the bed etc. Then I started feeling contractions around 2:45am. I started to time them and they were about 4-5 minutes apart. Around 3:45am I woke Brian up and asked what I should do, so we called the on-call doctor. He said to head to labor and delivery. I called my brother Kelly to see if he could come over and stay with the girls (sorry for that wake up call!) In the mean time I jumped in the shower and threw together a few things (camera, clothes etc) just incase this was "it", although I had a feeling the contractions would stop at the most inconvenient time. We got to the hospital around 5am, still having contractions. Nothing too painful at all, just very consistent and a little uncomfortable. Then we get up to l&d and they get me all hooked up and yep, the contractions stop. Do they know when you are pulling into the hospital or what?! I had in-frequent ones, but nothing major. At 8am we left and headed to get some breakfast.

I had my regular doctors appt at 9:10am so we went back to the hospital for that after grabbing a bagel at Panera. Doc checked me out and I was 4cm, but the contractions were just hit or miss. Then we talked about something I've been thinking about lately, VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). It's something that I've thought about more after our last doctor's appointment. My doctor has told me a few times that I'd be a great "candidate" for this given my past c-section. And honestly, the recovery from delivering like that is looking a lot better than a c/s recovery!! So we talked in lengths about that and she thinks I'd be great to do it if that's what I decide. Especially since I'm already 4cm dilated. If I weren't dilated at all, she wouldn't even think about it.

I'm still uncertain at this point what I'm going to do, I guess I'll just play it by ear and see what happens. And try not to stress about it. She also said that if I hadn't gone into labor by my c/s appointment date (1 week from today, June 9th) that instead of going in to do the c/s, that I could go in and she would just break my water. Again, she would only do it since I'm already 4cm, and that should just jump start my active labor. So, we'll see.

I guess whatever is meant to happen, will. Right?

No comments: